GARDENING FESTIVAL SHOW
Saturday, May 30, 2020 at Parkside Centre
Theme: “Singing in the Rain”
Bring entries to the Parkside Friday, May 29, between 4:00 and 5:00 pm,
or Saturday, May 30, between 8:00 and 9:00 am.
TO ENTER THIS COMPETITION YOU MUST BE A HORTICULTURAL SOCIETY MEMBER!
SECTION A - Floral Design
1. BEGINNER’S CLASS: (for those who have never entered a floral design in one of our shows)
“Greensleeves” – a design using plant material in shades of green and a variety of texture.
2. “Memories” - a small design using dried and/or fresh plant material…not exceeding 20 cm (8 in) in any direction,
3. “Tweet, Tweet” - a design incorporating one of the following: bird(s), bird house, nest, or feeder
4. “Greensleeves” – a design using plant material in shades of green and a variety of texture.
5. “Under the Sea” - an underwater design using any spring flower(s)
6. “A Duet” – a partner design in two coordinating containers
7. Exhibition Table:
“In an English Country Garden” - a functional table design ...max size: 36" wide x 30” deep
SECTION B - Potted Plants
8. Any house plant in bloom *
9. Any house plant foliage only *
10. African Violet (any colour, one crown) *
11. Dish Garden (max. 20”)
NOTE: * If you can name the genus and cultivar, more than one entry is allowed in these classes. (ie: Saintpaulia (genus) “Masquerade”(cultivar) and Saintpaulia “Painted Lady” )
SECTION C - Photography
12. Any houseplant in bloom
13. Close-up of a flowering branch or pussy willows (in any setting)
14. A flowering shrub or tree
15. Ferns and/or fiddleheads
16. Spring flower(s), growing or cut
17. Close-up of a spring flower (zoom in close!)
18. A bird nest, in any setting
19. Trillium(s) …not picked!
20. Any spring wildflower(s)
21. OPEN CLASS – a montage of a garden (use your own photos to cut up) max size 11” x 14”
SECTION D - Youth
22. Small floral design using a spring - a) ages 6 to 10 years - b) ages 11 to 15 years.
23. Painting of spring bloom(s) - can be crayon, coloured pencil or paint -
a) ages 6 to 10 years - b) ages 11 to 15 years
SECTION E - Hobby Arts and Crafts (All must show horicultural content)
24. Painting – in any medium: acrylic, oil, watercolour, pastel, charcoal, prismacolours or mixed media *
25. Textile Art - examples: rug hooking, needlepoint, weaving, embroidery, knitting *
26. Folk Art - painting in any medium, on any surface* (see note)
27. Quilting - any quilted p
28. Garden Art – suitable for the outdoors
- * Paintings in class 24 must be framed or on a stretched canvas that is painted on the edges
- * Textile Art may be divided if there are many entries in any one medium.
- * Folk art, class 26 is the decoration of an object or material (wooden box, saw blade,etc.)
- All works must be original and must not have won ribbons in any of our Society shows.
- Name of artist must be covered.
- All works must show horticultural content, except for class 28.
GENERAL GUIDELINES FOR ALL COMPETITIONS CAN BE FOUND IN THE SOCIETY'S HANDBOOK!
Liinamaa Family Trophy - Most points in Hobbyist Arts & Crafts (Section D)
Winifred Squires Trophy - Most Points in Show
Betina Hansen Award - Best Floral Design entry